Internal Committee Information
The Graduate and Professional Student Council relies heavily on the efforts of the Standing Committees to help oversee the many different and important roles that take place in the Council. The specific details of each of the Standing Committees are given below, and were taken from the Council’s By-Laws.
Quality of Life Committee
- Addresses issues concerning education, research, and financial support that affect the quality of the graduate and professional student academic experience.
- Addresses issues concerning student health, personal and family welfare, personal budget, child care, etc. that affect the quality of graduate and professional student life outside of the academic experience.
Diversity and Inclusion Committee
- Addresses issues unique to the diverse student body.
- Works closely with the University offices, such as International Student Services, Multicultural Services, the Vice President of Global Initiative, the Vice President of Diversity, the GLBT Resource Center, the Women’s Resource Center, and the other interested parties to ensure graduate and professional student interests are voiced.
- Keeps graduate and professional students apprised of relevant and pertinent information related to diversity issues.
Legislative Affairs Committee
- Addresses legislation that affects graduate and professional students at the local, state, and national levels.
- Examines legislative issues, especially during years that the Legislature of the State of Texas is not in session, so that the Graduate and Professional Student Council will be prepared to address issues effectively within the Legislature’s limited timetable.
- Maintains a knowledge of all Faculty Senate, University Staff Council, and Student Government Association resolutions and proceedings and sends a liaison to attend all meetings.
Marketing and Communications Committee
- Promotes all Graduate and Professional Student Council sponsored events, including but not limited to: Graduate and Professional Student Council meetings, events coordinated by the other Standing Committees, and external events of interest to the graduate and professional student body.
- Maintains and updates Graduate and Professional Student Council logos and branding guide as needed.
- Plans events to foster community and fellowship among the graduate and professional student body.
- The jurisdiction of this committee includes all programming opportunities, whether social or academic, that do not serve a primarily service-based function.
- Coordinates all events of the Graduate and Professional Student Council related to charitable causes and service to the community.
- Purses relevant opportunities for service to University and local communities.
- Works to ensure that the Graduate and Professional Student Council is continually engaged in charitable and service-oriented works.
- Oversees the Graduate and Professional Student Council Travel, Book, and Council Awards programs, if currently being awarded, in order to positively support the graduate and professional student body and the academic mission of Texas A&M University.
- The jurisdiction of this committee includes oversight of all awards to be distributed by the Graduate and Professional Student Council, with the exception of awards given for excellence in research as part of Student Research Week.
- Works with the Vice President of Finance to ensure that funds will be available for the Awards programs.
- Recruits graduate and professional students to attend events and become involved in the Graduate and Professional Student Council.
- Reaches out to entities that may benefit from sending Representatives to the Graduate and Professional Student Council meetings.
- Serves as a liaison committee between the Graduate and Professional Student Council and underrepresented departments, programs, and organizations.