Frequent asked questions from applicants
Question: “If you have already won a GPSC travel award, can you apply for another travel award for a different travel period?”
- You cannot apply for a travel award for another travel period that is in the same academic year (i.e. August 2015 – August 2016). There are four travel period throughout the year, and if you have won a travel award in one award period, then you cannot apply to another award period until next academic year.
Question: “I already have some funding from my department and from another grant that I won through the university. Can I still apply for a travel award through the GPSC?”
- Yes, in fact we recommend that you apply for other awards besides the GPSC Travel Award, since the maximum awarded funding ($500) may only cover part of your travel spend.
Question: “I do not see my department listed as an eligible department or organization. Does this mean that I am not qualified to receive a travel award?”
Question: “If I’m traveling between two periods of the travel awards, which one should I apply?”
- You should apply for the awards period that is correlated with the beginning of your traveling date
Question: “ What’s the page limit for the resume? Can I include my personal information in the resume?”
- Yes, please include all your personal information in the resume. The resume should be single- or double- spaced with 12 point font, and at a maximum of 2 page length.
Question: “ I’m a first year graduate student, and I do not have a GPR yet, what should I enter in the GPR on the application form?”
- You should enter 0 GPR for your application, and we will determine the winners by looking at their personal statement and abstract.